Ann Kagarise Photography

Ann Kagarise Photography
Ann Kagarise Photography

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Human Trafficking in the United States

Actually got to speak with Dillon Burroughs regarding Human trafficking in the United States. I did not realize how prevalent it is in this country and I consider myself a pretty informed person. He shared with me that he read a book from 1910 about human trafficking. I know it has always been, but for some reason it just seems that it is more talked about in the news. I dont know if it is the recent movie, Taken, or the recent murder of young Shanyia Davis, in Florida. Her mother sold her into human trafficking because of a debt. Most of these women and kids are sold into human trafficking for less than a couple hundred bucks. That is it! it is scary! I plan on doing anything I can to hep in this cause. This is one of the saddest things I have heard in this country. I have been through a lot of abuse and helped a lot of women and children who were abused, but this is just an outrage! From my understanding, law enforcement are not really even trained to recognize trafficking rings. They do not know what to do with the victims after they are rescued. Traffickers are often let out on bond and only serve 1-2 years. That just blows me away.